Friday, November 20, 2009

GBR & semester's end

I’ve finished exams and am done with the semester! My finals were spaced out so that I had a whole week between tests, so Marissa and I took a little dive vacation during that time. Last Saturday we took an exam then took off for the airport and Cairns. On the short flight you get a great view of the reef.


Early Sunday morning, we boarded the day boat (the same one we took a month ago) and it delivered us to the bigger boat where we would spend the next two nights. We did nine dives over three days as well as some snorkeling and just enjoying the amazing warm blue water. I also got my Advanced Open Water Diver Certification. We saw some sharks, a cuttlefish, an octopus, and six turtles! Our second night dive was especially memorable. As soon as we hopped in, not only could we see sharks everywhere – a dream come true, no lie – but we also saw a lionfish. Not all of our photos turned out but here are a few (I would have many more from snorkeling since my digital is supposed to go to 30 feet, but to my dismay the screen cracked so it isn’t waterproof at all anymore).





I had interesting conversations with some of the guests on the boat from all over the world; it was cool to meet some Dutch travelers close to my age. Also, since we had befriended some of the boat's crew last time, it was really fun to catch up with them. Below are Duz, busy swabbing the deck, and Ryan, keeping watch over the snorkelers. Please note Duz’s gloriously filthy moustache. The crew participated in the great Australian tradition of “Moevember” when everybody grows a mo’ (known in the US as No-Shave-November), and had a contest for best facial hair to raise money for prostate cancer. We bought stars to give our favorite crewmembers and their staches, including one for both of these boys – Duz because his is shameless and awesome, and Ryan because he deserved an A for effort.



Tuesday evening we returned to shore and went out with some of the crew, and then caught a train home Wednesday. Yesterday I took my very last final exam and that means celebration time! So hung out with friends and then went to Uni Club for a bit (that’s the pictures below)… and now I have just a short time left in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers